Friday 5 August 2011

Interview # 7 : Pipapiep


My interview today is with Esty of Pipapiep, who is a master needle-felter and amazing sculptor!

How did you start making plush toys?

The first time was when I was making work for an exhibition, the idea was to make 4 objects that are related like the card game Happy Families. I made the items from felt and that was actually the start, after that I continued to make more thing like animals and later all kind of characters and monsters.



What or who would you say inspires you?
My inspiration comes a lot of time from stains and spots on the floor or on the wall they come to life in my imagination, also I love cartoons old and new and nature it self is a great source of inspiration to me.


How do you make your toys?

Usually I start by drawing on my computer, I sketch and try out different colours, print it out and then transfer it to the felt. Then I stitch it by hand, I don't even know to work with sewing machine.


What are your favourite materials to work with?
My favourite material is of course felt and wool, but also love to work with all kinds of wood very much.

Tell us about your work space?

Most of the time I'm working at home in my the sleeping room that's where my computer stands. My felt en sewing I doing and in the living room in my small little corner at my working table listen to my music of course. My materiel and creatures are taken over the whole house until it's time to stop and everything has to go back to where they came from.

How has making toys change you as an artist?


It changed me, I think by bringing me more to the world of crafts, compared to my sculptural work my work became much more affordable. Being part of plush toys groups that show my work in the US, this I like the most . Also being reviewed in blogs, taking part in craft markets and of course my shop in Etsy.

What medium of art did you use before making toys?
Before I used to work with wood and bronze, I also made some videos and animations. During my study at the art academy I was worked a lot with metal doing blacksmith work.
Youtube film: broom
Youtube film: Animals,paper,colors
My web site: www.zooart.nl


How did you come up with your company name?

My son when he was young he had 2 hamsters one called "Pipa" the other one was called "Piep" (pronounced: peep). Together they for "Pipapiep" (pronounced: peepapeep)I even think my son even suggested the name to me.


And finally where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
5 years? mmm... Ask me again in 5 years.


Estys' needle felting is a work of art.

More of Estys' work can be found at her Etsy Shop HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment